Saturday, October 23, 2010

What is the hottest bath (on average) an adult's body can stand before skin damage occurs? 120°, 130°, more?

I usually like my bath at around 110 degrees. If it drops below 100 degrees, it starts feeling "tepid" to me.
My wife likes it around 100 though...110 feels too hot to her.
Still, at SOME temperature, your skin would start to become damaged and you'd start to literally "cook" yourself. So, what is that magic number that we should not go higher than?
I know for babies and the elderly it might be much lower. What I mean is for average, healthy adults.What is the hottest bath (on average) an adult's body can stand before skin damage occurs? 120°, 130°, more?
Are you sure you like 110? I find most people can't even stand anything over about 107-108. Every degree counts at this point and we are very sensitive within a dregree or two as to what feels hot. I too think 100 is tepid but know that 110 is too hot, at least for me. You can get used to hotter water over time. Most people would consider a hot bath at 105. I think very hot water dries the skin and so that's not good, but I don't know about other damage. I've also known people to develop what's called pressure hives from too hot water and they are forced to take tepid baths and showers....from too much hot water exposure. I've been in hot enough water to turn my skin red but then it ends up feeling cold while very hot....receptors must get confused and it's not soothing. I bet first degree burns occur at around 120 but that's only a guess.
in my health book it says a persson should stay in a hot tub about at 101 degrees for about 10 min then get out
hey u mean F or C???????????

No comments:

Post a Comment